Monday, October 4, 2010

"Obesogenic" America: Nine States Now Over 30 Per Cent Obese, CDC







Reference:

Paddock, C. (2010, Aug.4). "Obesogenic" America: Nine States Now Over 30 Per Cent Obese, CDC. Retrieved 28 September 2010 from Medical News Today: http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/196849.php



 Summary:

According to this article, 30 percent of the American Youth have become fat. This percentage has been reported in nine states: Alabama, Arkansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Oklahoma, Tennessee, and West Virginia. As said by US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the American society has become “obesogenic” because of the environment that support over-eating, unhealthy food and physical inactivity. On the word of CDC Director Dr Thomas, obesity is a challenge to the public health and must be addressed continually because it leads the society to sickness and dying from obesity related causes. On the other hand, obesity cost 147 billion US dollars as medical cost with an increment of 1429 dollars of normal people (CDC report). 


Reaction:
           
            I am disappointed by the news that comes in this article because I always thought that American society was healther than other societies. Obesity is one of the major health problems in my country where government pays billions for medical treatment because of sickness and diseases related to it. I feel sorry for those who cannot help themselves and get out of their obesity and I do not want to be like them in the future. In that way, I care too much for the health of my family and me. I always say that food is to help you live but not to live for food.

No comments:

Post a Comment